Apr 18, 2012

INSANITY® Day 1/60


Well first off let me tell you what I'm up to...   I found INSANITY® through my love for American infomercials... and I was brought back to my early days of HIP HOP ABS...  I love Shaun T. He's pretty, perky, and ripped.



I began the INSANITY® Challenge TODAY with the Fit Test.
I am very excited to be taking on INSANITY... I'm generally a healthy person but I have never been highly active and I don't want it to catch up with me.
3 months ago I started going to a gym, and signed up with a personal trainer whom I have booked 6 months with.  I am going 3 times per week but will be traveling a lot so I needed some way to keep my fitness with me when I travel...  I know I can lose motivation to go to a gym because I'm quite a hermit and leaving my house isn't always the most appealing option for me.
I was in the USA and saw the infomercial for INSANITY and it appealed to me right away 1. because I'm familiar with Shaun T from his HIP HOP ABS DVDs and 2. because it's an intense workout that shows great results and does not require any equipment!
I saw the DVDs in a sport store and picked them up right away!
I leave on Monday for Italy for 7 weeks and this gives me the perfect opportunity to start INSANITY ... I did my fit test today and hope to finish INSANITY shortly after my return from my holiday (then I'll go back to the gym and working with my trainer)
Eating right has never been a problem for me, eating OFTEN has.  I'm lazy and yes I love to cook but breakfast is the hardest meal for me to eat... I have difficulties eating within 2 hours of waking but my schedule the following weeks will force me to do so (I'm taking a course... that means school 8-4 and having to eat breakfast early) 
I actually followed "6 week body makeover" which had a diet of 5-6 meals per day and also gives particulars of what foods to eat depending on your body type/metabolism!
Being in Italy of course will have its temptations, but I figure if I portion my food it doesn't matter so much what I eat.  I always avoid deep fried or processed foods, sugar and flour (oh but I love pasta... darn)
I already have a bag full of food supplements hard to find in Italy so I can get the low fat high protein and healthy carb diet I need ...  
FOOD ITEMS I LIKE TO INCLUDE IN A HEALTHY ACTIVE LIFESTYLE DIET:
  • Quinoa  (a full protein and also a carb)
  • Sprouted brown rice
  • Three bean trio (freeze dried bean mix that cooks in 15 minutes, no soaking required)
  • Chia seeds (yay proteins and omega-3)
  • Rolled or steel cut oats
  • Flax (healthy fats & omega-3)
  • Soy protein powder
  • Spirulina (protein, vitamins & minerals)
  • All Greens powder mix (this is basically a compound of every healthy green, grass or fruit you've never heard of)

Also, the Results and Recovery formula (from the P90-X but also highly recommended as a recovery drink after any intense workout to promote muscle building and healing and lessen soreness) is a premade canned beverage which 1. I can't access easily 2. can't pack with me and 3. I try to avoid processed or premade health or sport foods...  I have gone to the health food store and purchased all the supplements found in the R&R drink and I've been portioning them out to follow the same amounts per beverage, so I can make a hearty R&R protein shake for myself after my workouts. 
VITAMIN BOOSTERS AND SUPPLEMENTS I HAVE PURCHASED TO REPLACE THE R&R FORMULA:
  • Creatine (enhances muscular performance)
  • L-arginine (amino acid that promotes heart health)
  • Vitamin C in powder form 
  • Lecithin (fatty acid - is a key building block of cell membranes in the human body)
  • L-glutamine (protects muscle tissue & supports immune function)
  • Magnesium & potassium aspartate
  • Conjugated linoleic acid (supports fat loss)
  • Vitamin E
  • PGX daily (promote healthy blood sugar levels & supports weight management)
  • Glucosamine (helps joints)
  • Calcium & vitamin D (strong bones, prevent osteoporosis, and being Canadian I don't get enough Vit D)

I've also recorded video of myself doing the test I plan to make videos of all my workouts so I can watch my form and my progress.  And it's a good laugh, too... ha ha...  I'll try to get some youtube vids posted of my Fit Test & workouts so you can have a laugh just as I do :) it's only fair!
WISH ME LUCK!!!